Build Master: Scheduling

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 10:35:41 PST 2013

On 11/14/13, Sönke Ludwig <sludwig at outerproduct.org> wrote:
> Just a little personal impression - it seems like during 2.064's
> development, more people than ever have switched to DMD HEAD instead of
> the last release version. This made it much more burdensome to support
> public libraries, because compiler induced breakage was much more frequent.

And a 6 month release schedule means you have to keep around and
implement workarounds in your libraries for old bugs. You can't just
target git-head for your users, you have to target the latest stable
version.

The release cycle right now is so slow that most of the time I'm just
using git-head, but I still end up having to implement workarounds for
the last stable version when I publish code. If the release cycles
were more frequent then I wouldn't have to use bleeding-edge.