Build Master: Scheduling

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Thu Nov 14 16:40:56 PST 2013

On 11/15/2013 12:36 AM, Nick wrote:
> I have no idea what everyone is getting worked up about. My
> understanding of the plan is that there are biannual major releases,
> with bug fix releases in-between, for those people/companies who need
> stability/dependability.
>
> In addition to that we have monthly 'beta' releases for those who want
> the latest and greatest but know that a few things may get changed
> around between the releases that break code and that there are likely to
> be more bugs.
>
> So all the passionate D devs here get their monthly releases, and the
> people who want maximum stability get a biannual, LTS release along with
> some bug fix releases.

I too think it's a good plan. Many new features need a few month until
they are stable.
Also the 6 month nicely match our deprecation cycle.
There is only one maintenance release in parallel to the master/beta
branch which reduces the backporting effort.
We still need automate more of the release building.