try/catch idiom in std.datetime

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Wed Nov 20 15:45:44 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 20 November 2013 at 20:47:10 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> There are a bunch of styles that are consistent yet used by
> nobody, because they are objectively worse. So consistency is
> not the sole requirement. Then you hadn't mentioned "that is
> liked by at least one programmer" which moves the goalposts.
> Then one programmer can be one highly unusual human being, so
> there is strength in numbers.

You see, the whole definition of term "objective comparison"
implies comparison by  traits other than actual usage. The very
moment when you refer to something being worse because no one (or
no one in sane mind) uses it, comparison moves into area of
subjectivity. Not your specific subjectivity but subjectivity as
a general evaluation approach.

I am not arguing about the fact that some code styles are widely
recognized as better ones. I oppose using the term "objectivity"
in that context, consider it etymological nitpicking.