D vs Go in real life

Bienlein jeti789 at web.de
Thu Nov 21 01:33:03 PST 2013

> There are a lot of SMEs in London using Go as their core
> language. Their
> enthusiasm stems, I think, from otherwise having to use C.

Well, I think that says it all. Go is made by C programmers for C
programmers. I would say that this is even objectively correct.

What puzzles me is the enormous activity in the Go forum. Only
the Python forum has that much traffic. It seems to me that
people are all that happy if they have a language with which they
can just start hacking around on something.

That is because Go doesn't force anyone to think about design.
The only design-level construct it has is the class an that's it.
Embedding is truly only to save coding effort not having to type
in dereferenciation chains as in C. There is nothing except
classes, but no inheritance, traits, mixins, overriding, etc. So
there is nothing that forces you to think about your design in
Go. And you don't have to know about manual memory management as
in Rust.

-- Bienlein