Should "std.net.curl" be moved from Phobos to Deimos?

Jordi Sayol g.sayol at yahoo.es
Thu Nov 28 07:58:57 PST 2013

El 27/11/13 13:56, Dicebot ha escrit:
> On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 at 21:04:31 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> I really think providing just source + single additional .deb package as
>>> an example is the best way to go.
>>
>> Well we kind of do that already. No?
>>
>> Andrei
>
> No. We provide Linux binaries in .zip and pretend they are expected to work for all distros which simply can't happen in general. Fedora bug report would not have been valid if not implication that there is a supported binary distribution for Fedora.
>
> I suggest to simply stop pretending any kind of such support exist and drop Linux binaries from .zip at all. Motivating people to create dmd packages for their native distros scales much better (and solves most/all curl issues for Linux)

We should then generate dmd packages for every distro release because they can fail between releases too.

The only thing that breaks the current dmd zip system is libcurl dependency. All other thinks properly works on all Linux distros/releases.

Should we change all this well working system due to a single problem with an external library dependency?

--
Jordi Sayol