D for Speech and Signal Processing

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Thu Nov 28 10:23:22 PST 2013

On Thursday, 28 November 2013 at 10:30:36 UTC, Chris wrote:
> There are voice analysis and speech processing toolkits like
> Covarep and Voicebox (see links below) that were coded in
> Matlab, because they were originally only prototypes. There has
> been talk of porting them to C++. My first thought, as you
> might imagine, was why not use D? However, I don't know if
> there are any performance issues, especially for real time
> systems (in speech recognition), talking about GC, or in fact
> any other issues (number grinding etc.).
>
> A lot of the analysis tools are based on some sort of HMM
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Markov_model) and I think
> D could handle that elegantly.
>
> https://github.com/covarep/covarep
> http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/voicebox/voicebox.html
I agree that D would make an excellent platform for such signal
processing work, though I don't know what real-time constraints
would have to be worked out either.  Perhaps a better approach
would be to write a D wrapper for the C version of the CMU Sphinx
suite, then move development to D over time:

http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/

I don't know the relative merits of those three software projects
though.  Maybe Sphinx isn't the best implemented, but it
certainly might be the quickest to get up and running with D.