GUI libraries

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Nov 29 04:22:18 PST 2013

On Friday, 29 November 2013 at 02:00:50 UTC, Chris Cain wrote:
> On Friday, 29 November 2013 at 01:44:34 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Still lacking proper beard ;)
>
> A programmer without a beard! Blasphemy! Witch!
>
> ----
>
> But anyway, going along with what you guys are saying, if
> you've ever seen reviews on Android apps, a lot of apps get
> lots of bad reviews for not adhering to the Android design
> standards. Using cross-platform toolkits are usually a death
> sentence for your rating. So, there's a lot to be said about
> making sure your app looks consistent in the OS it's running in.
>
> Some apps do "get away" with something that is somewhat custom.
> Take, for instance, Steam on Windows. It doesn't look like a
> "proper" Windows application, but it works very well for it
> regardless. That said, Steam on Mac is terrible because it
> feels too much like a windows app there (mainly in regards to
> scrolling behavior).
>
> That all said, if I were writing a GUI app in D right now, I
> would probably write my own toolkit and make something super
> simple (but "good" looking) to test out some new ideas. I think
> we really need an easy, straight-forward, and powerful UI
> toolkit that takes advantage of D's unique features (such as
> compile-time specialization, maybe using DSLs that compiled &
> used at compile-time instead of runtime) while reflecting well
> in comparison to the newest paradigms of application design
> (think how Android & iOS apps are made and maybe even a bit of
> web design). I can't quite precisely quantify what we need, but
> I think a fresh approach to the UI programming interface could
> set D apart in this area.
>
> Simply using a translation of an old UI toolkit is "easy" but
> will not make UI applications pleasing to develop.

You actually put into words what I've been thinking. I know that
people want "native behavior", and maybe one day it will just be
"intuitive behavior" instead of "corporate OS behavior".[1] But
with D we have a chance to do what you say in the last paragraph.

[1] What we expect of a UI is what we've been made to believe to
expect. It all boils down to "Architect or Bee?"