Official stdx

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 4 04:03:38 PDT 2013

The thing is, code is never perfect and as a language keeps
evolving your latest tricks will soon become obsolete or
deprecated. It happens all the time (Java, Cocoa etc. "use this
instead"). If I look back at the code I wrote years ago, it still
works, but it's no longer up to current standards (my own as well
as the language's). I think including things in the std. library
really makes people (like me) use and thereby _test_ them, asking
(not so) stupid questions on D.learn etc. If I have learned
anything it's that my most ignorant (innocent) questions trigger
or that flaw, telling you tricks and workarounds. D is a language
based on practical experience, not on ideology or anything
(that's why I like it). So stdx, while it seems to be a good
idea, would be a limbo for code, eternally in a state of "not
bad, but not quite there yet". And all code is like that. We'll
never quite get there.