etc vs. package mangers

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Mon Oct 7 04:52:09 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 6 October 2013 at 21:32:25 UTC, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> On 10/6/13 10:10 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:

>>> This is exactly why I'm not too thrilled to make another
>>> attempt at
>>> establishing something like that. ;)
>>
>> We could improve things on our end by featuring etc
>> documentation more prominently etc. I don't
>> think there's a need to reboot things with stdx. Just improve
>> etc.
>>
>> Andrei
>
> I'm largely staying out of this conversation, but there's one
> area that I think is pretty important, speed of development.
>
> By having a less official, more readily committable to,
> repository it stands to reason that it'll evolve faster and
> fluidly than the phobos code base docs or should.  Some of it
> is just that phobos pull requests lanquish too long, but that's
> not ALL it is.  The bar should be different, not that phobos'
> bar should be lower.
>
> My 2 cents,
> Brad

This.

The very point of such category is to provide more flexible and
still officially approved source for not-yet-there modules.
Whatever the reason is that prevents it from straightforward
inclusion, it is likely to be reason for plenty of commits to the
module. Limiting its polishing to Phobos release model hinders
core rationale for having such semi-official module list -
ability of module author to polish it in his own tempo using more
extensive field test results.

I actually kind of think "etc." should be deprecated and
eventually removed from Phobos at all. For C bindings we now have
Deimos, for experimental packages it simply does not work that
good.