The "no gc" crowd

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 07:30:34 PDT 2013

On 9 October 2013 17:31, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 10/9/2013 12:29 AM, Manu wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here REALLY believe that a bunch of volunteer contributors can
>> possibly do what apple failed to do with their squillions of dollars and
>> engineers?
>> I haven't heard anybody around here propose the path to an acceptable
>> solution.
>> It's perpetually in the too-hard basket, hence we still have the same GC
>> as
>> forever and it's going nowhere.
>>

> What do you propose?

ARC. I've been here years now, and I see absolutely no evidence that the GC
is ever going to improve. I can trust ARC, it's predictable, I can control
it.
Also, proper support for avoiding the GC without severe inconvenience as
constantly keeps coming up. But I don't think there's any debate on that
one. Everyone seems to agree.