std.linalg

FreeSlave freeslave93 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 04:28:18 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 12 October 2013 at 08:47:33 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 October 2013 at 06:24:58 UTC, FreeSlave wrote:
>>
>> For these cases we may let users to choose low-level backend
>> if they need. High-level interface and default implementation
>> are needed anyway.
>>
>> I called it std.linalg because there is website
>> http://www.linalg.org/ about C++ library for exact
>> computational linear algebra. Also SciD has module
>> scid.linalg. We can use std.linearalgebra or something else.
>> Names are not really important now.
>>
>> Ok, things are more clear now. Today I look what I can do.
>
> There are litterally dozens of linear algebra packages: Eigen,
> Armadillo, Blitz++, IT++, etc.
>
> I was not complaining about the linalg name, but about the fact
> that you want to make it a std subpackage. I contend that if
> you want to make it a std package, it must be nearly perfect,
> i.e better performing than ALL the other alternatives, even the
> C++ ones, and that it's really good as an API. Else it will be
> deprecated because someone will have made a better alternative.
>
> Given the number of past tries, I consider this project is very
> likely doomed to failure. So no std please.

It's not my idea to include this kind of module into std. I found
it in wish list here http://wiki.dlang.org/Wish_list so I
supposed community needs it and it should be discussed and
designed, and then implemented by someone, not necessarily by me,
though I can and will try to do it by myself. You're right, we
should to learn existing solutions firstly and then make the best
in D.