Valgrind and GC

Maxim Fomin maxim at maxim-fomin.ru
Mon Oct 21 14:26:13 PDT 2013

On Monday, 21 October 2013 at 12:04:10 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> Valgrind in its current state is unfortunately almost unusable
> with D as it does not support some instructions at least DMD
> emits.

This is widely wrong. Valgrind can catch many, many bugs,
including wrong code, memory errors etc. It just reports warnings
on some GC code (it seems that what makes valgrind suspicios is
inline asm which initializes some stack data in gc) and sometimes
it cannot recognize code instructions (in my experience somtimes
means 2 cases of IR bugs for 2 years of debugging buggy code from
bugzilla). Taking into account incomplete status of compiler it
brings much value. Better description is not "almost unusable"
but "failing in extreme cases due to IR bugs and giving some
false pasitive conditional jump ... messages about GC code".