Valgrind and GC

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Mon Oct 21 14:43:54 PDT 2013

On Monday, 21 October 2013 at 21:26:14 UTC, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> On Monday, 21 October 2013 at 12:04:10 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> Valgrind in its current state is unfortunately almost unusable
>> with D as it does not support some instructions at least DMD
>> emits.
>
> This is widely wrong.

It is in fact true. I couldn't use it on x86_64 Linux to
analyse/profile pretty much any non-trivial D application due to
some floating point instructions DMD emits not being recognised.
There wasn't even any esoteric code involved, just some floating
point formatting or similar. Maybe it works fine for test cases
from Bugzilla (but wouldn't you typically rather use it on DMD
itself for those anyway?), but it's virtually unusable for real D
applications. And I say that as a Valgrind fan, having also made
some smaller contributions to KCachegrind, a cachegrind/callgrind
result viewer for KDE.

GDC/LDC-produced executables work just fine, though.

David