D Programming Language book - outdated, list of changes since?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 24 11:14:29 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 14:39:21 Suliman wrote:
> It would be great to have updated TDPL book...

I don't understand why people keep saying that. Is it because people keep
repeating that incorrect assumption that it's out-of-date? Or is it just that
too many people have the impression that D has changed drastically since TDPL
was released? Almost nothing in TDPL is out-of-date, and for the most part,
the stuff that is out-of-date is out-of-date because it has never been
implemented and not because something has changed.

http://forum.dlang.org/post/mailman.1762.1373097795.13711.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com

If some of the stuff that's been discussed in the newsgroup gets implemented
(e.g. getting rid of toString, opEquals, toHash, and opCmp from Object), then
TDPL will over time become more out-of-date and more incorrect, but at this
point, the main problem is the errata. I could see someone wanting a new
addition that described features that have been added since then (e.g. UDAs),
but that list is quite short. If anything, the problem with TDPL is that some
of what it describes still hasn't been implemented yet, and that list is also
quite short. It explicitly avoided discussing things that weren't considered a
sure thing at the time, so it's largely still correct and relevant.

I really think that it's far too early for a new edition of TDPL. If we need
more of anything, it's more online tutorials and articles on D, not a new
edition of TDPL.

- Jonathan M Davis