[OT] Faulty Java update for OS X (10.8)?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Oct 24 23:41:20 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-24 23:39, Chris wrote:
> I installed the latest Java update for Mac last Tuesday (7u45). When I
> shut down the Mac, I noticed that it took ages (several minutes), then
> today (didn't use it on Wednesday) it wouldn't boot. All it showed me
> was a white screen. I tried all the recommended remedies, but nothing
> would help. I finally restored it from a Time Machine backup that was
> pre Java 7u45. Now the Mac works again.
>
> I wonder if it was the Java update or something else. I downloaded it
> from http://java.com/en/download/mac_download.jsp?locale=en.
>
> My system is 10.8.4

If you boot your computer and hold down Command-V it will boot in
verbose mode. This let you see what's going on and possibly what's
actually causing the problem.

You can also boot in single-user mode. This will get you a minimal shell
environment allowing you to fix the problem, like remove files causing
the problems.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1492

--
/Jacob Carlborg