std.allocator ready for some abuse

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sat Oct 26 08:37:33 PDT 2013

> I know it's been a long wait. Hopefully it was worth it. The alpha release of
> untyped allocators is ready for tire-kicking and a test drive.

> Please destroy! I've literally sweat as I'm sending this :o).

Hmm, seems like I'm coming late to quite a party ... :-)

Like John Colvin, I feel that much of this is over my head -- I don't have the
experience/expertise to judge requirements or solutions.  But it looks like very
nice code indeed and I'm encouraged by the fact that most "Can it do ...?"
questions seem to have a ready answer.

My own interests have always been less in allocators per se and more in the
functionality they unlock -- stuff like containers, for example.  It may be
unfamiliarity -- my own code has either used new/delete (the latter only in C++,
not D...) or malloc/dealloc -- but looking at this module as it stands I don't
really see how to practically make use of it; which makes me wonder whether the
people calling for it to be in core rather than std have a point.

Maybe it would help to have code examples that really show these allocators
really being used to do something -- the existing examples are comprehensive and
show what to do, but not really what to do _with_ the constructs thus created.

Or, maybe I should just educate myself more ... ;-)

Suffice to say that my overwhelming feeling is of gratitude and admiration for
all the obvious thought and hard work put into creating this module.  Thanks and
congratulations, Andrei! :-)

Best wishes,

     -- Joe