Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Benjamin Thaut code at benjamin-thaut.de
Sun Sep 1 09:36:27 PDT 2013

Am 01.09.2013 15:55, schrieb Manu:

> Mago is only Win32, and DMD is only Win64... I've tried encouraging the
> Mago guy to support Win64, but it doesn't seem to be a highly active
> project recently. I think this is another case of a 1-man project that
> represents a fairly critical part of the ecosystem.

You may be pleased to hear the mago is currently getting 64-bit and pdb
support. Its activly beeing worked on, check the svn repository on
dsource.org.

> Sometimes...
> Have you worked with it on a daily basis? It just doesn't work all the
> time. Also, in my experience the auto-complete suggestions are often
> either incomplete, or list heaps of completely unrelated stuff.
> I'm not saying it's bad, it's better than nothing and I really
> appreciate the project (I've said before, if it weren't for Rainer's
> effort, I simply wouldn't use D), but it certainly needs more work,
> especially if I'm going to have any traction selling it to others with
> no vested interest in the language.

I'm not talking about the auto-complete. I talk about the class view. It
only works on the .json output of the compiler. If you regularly
recompile (which is not an issue with D because it's basically free) you
have a nice and clean overview of all your modules, classes and structs.
And you can even search that class view to find stuff. It also helps
somewhat with auto-completion and "goto definition".
Yes I use it on a daily basis, and yes I know that it's not perfect. You
should also go into Options -> Text Editors -> D -> Intelli Sense and
play around with the options there to see what works best for you.

> But this project approached it from a different angle, ie, a total
> replacement for C++ which does have a rich toolset available. I want to
> use D in this context in the future, and if that were the commitment we
> were considering at Remedy, there's no way we would have gone for it.

Yeah I gave a talk about D at Havok recently too and basically got the
same response. D simply doesn't have enough tools / momentum to be a
option. I use D as a C++ replacement though, and going back to C++
annoys me more and more every day. Better tools are nice, but I'm really
missing some features D has when coding C++.