d from the outside

john james jjames83 at gmial.com
Sun Sep 1 10:46:48 PDT 2013

Hello all

I am fairly new to programming (i'm a sophomore cs student in
college), and I wanted to talk about d in a place where I might
be heard... so here i am.

let me preface this comment by saying that the following
statements are merely the opinions of someone who doesn't have as
firm a grasp of computer programming as many of the veteran
programmers who frequent this forum.

I recently became interested in d after performing a search of
modern programming languages. I cut my teeth on programming using
c++. Consequently I became quickly aware of the problems with the
language and began to look for alternatives.

In the end I wound up looking at d and go. After a great deal of
trepidation I ultimately choose go. Why you may ask?  Because Go
worked.

In the beginning I wanted to use D. And after trying
unsuccessfully many times to get it working on my machine (i am
using a mac). I gave up and looked at Go.

Lo and Behold, Go worked the first time. I went on the site
followed the instructions and it ran. No fuss, no muss.

I checked the forums before making the switch, and others had the
same problem. I am a noob, I didn't understand the fixes, and
despite my efforts i had to abandon the language.

This shouldn't be a reason for someone to miss out on a
potentially great language and this is in my opinion what keeps D
from being more popular.

I say this will all respect and admiration for the community and
creators of the language.

Please get some clarity around the language. Simplify the use
(installation / implementation). Yes I am asking for hand
holding. I think it would go a long way in exposing more people
to the language and gaining a base of new blood that are looking
for great languages like D.

my particular problem was file object.d was not found when trying
to compile my hello.d program. i followed the directions exactly
as described on the installation portion of the site.

that's enough ranting. I just wanted to come forth and say that I
really want to use the language, but if it is too difficult to
get up and running (or requires too much overhead), then D runs
the risk of alienating potential converts.

FYI:

I have installed other languages such as Go, and Haskell, PHP,
etc and had no problem.