Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Sep 1 13:55:39 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 02:37:09 +1000
Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 September 2013 01:02, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Trying upgrading Windows.  https://www.fsf.org/windows8
>

> Sadly, I already use Windows 8... *shudder* >_<

How do you get anything done?  ;)

> > An IDE is not a feature of a language.  Unless you are a RAD
> > language that removes the ability of developers to write a single
> > line of code (and do it awfully).
> >

> It certainly is in the case of C#. I think it's also central to C#'s
> success. People got in, and feel productive within seconds of firing
> it up. I've never had such a great language adoption experience. I
> clicked create project, and started writing code.
> The IDE is super helpful, and you can basically code by using the '.'
> key and consequent auto-completion popups as a documentation
> replacement.

FWIW: I was a big fan of C# initially, but somewhere around VS 2005 it
became so sluggish/bloated that it quickly negated any time savings.
Couldn't get things done because it was like driving down the freeway
at 15MPH.

> Do. But the website is slow, and you probably haven't tried to use the
> internet in Australia recently.
> Also, our new government intends to set Australia's internet back
> about 10 years:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-6E5yX1E0U
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpN7VCzDTdg
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyY-xI6zgfk
>
> Quality leadership to be sure...
> Note: I can only watch these in 320p after about 20-30 seconds buffer
> time ;)

Genuine question, not sarcasm: Have they decided to stop engaging in
thinly-veiled censorship yet? Or at least admit that they censor? ("Oh
no, we're not censoring! We're merely 'denying classification' on things
that are outlawed without government classification!")

> > That does seem more of the point of D interface files (.di).
> >

> I'm amazed at the resistance to this (a few no's, any yes's at all?).
> Do people here actually write D code, or rather, non-trivial D code?
> O_o Perhaps the dev's here use relatively few, or very simple classes?
> Seriously, how do you quickly read and understand the API through the
> noise?

Proper API documentation.

> I really can't get my head around it... Why wouldn't you want
> to be able to read a convenient summary of what a class is and does?

We do. That's why we have documentation and the -D flag.

> And why would you want to indent every line of function code by a few
> tabs?

This isn't Python, nobody *has* to indent it.

> Can anyone offer me ANY benefits? It legitimately blows my mind... O_O

To each his own, I guess. I was genuinely surprised a year or so ago
when I first discovered there were people who actually liked trying to
keep two separate copies of member signatures in sync.