Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 22:41:38 PDT 2013

On 2 September 2013 06:55, Nick Sabalausky <
SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 02:37:09 +1000
> Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do. But the website is slow, and you probably haven't tried to use the
> > internet in Australia recently.
> > Also, our new government intends to set Australia's internet back
> > about 10 years:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-6E5yX1E0U
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpN7VCzDTdg
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyY-xI6zgfk
> >
> > Quality leadership to be sure...
> > Note: I can only watch these in 320p after about 20-30 seconds buffer
> > time ;)
> >

> Genuine question, not sarcasm: Have they decided to stop engaging in
> thinly-veiled censorship yet? Or at least admit that they censor? ("Oh
> no, we're not censoring! We're merely 'denying classification' on things
> that are outlawed without government classification!")

No.
We're the 51st state of America, so we're all about censorship and hiding
information from the people at all costs. We also don't have the American
constitution in our defence, we're more like a lame England acting as
America's patsy; they can more-or-less just do whatever they want, and rely
on the fact that even if some of the public whinge and complain about it,
nobody will actually do anything meaningful to stop it. Our political
representation is truly embarrassing.
We also experience 80% Murdoch media coverage, so if they don't want you to
know about something, you certainly won't hear discussion/debate about it
on the television, and don't talk about it with non-nerds/over-40's,
because they'll just tell you you're a wonky conspiracy theorist.

The current government wants to install a nation-wide internet filtering
system with a classified black-list so they an filter _specifically_ 'child
pornography' from unsuspecting viewers...
I don't know about you, but I've been on the internet a long time, and
while it is (or used to be, google are better at filtering it now)
reasonably common to stumble upon unexpected porn, I've NEVER seen child or
animal abuse in my life. Clearly this isn't the real motivator.
The child abuse department of the federal police are suggesting they give
them the budget instead, and they'll be able to make a much more meaningful
difference... but nobody listens to them.

Meanwhile, people are constantly asking the leaders if they're spying on us
like the NSA and friends. Their preferred response is not to respond at
all. They ignore the question and walk away, every time.
Whee!

Of course, investment in the nation's internet is ridiculous, who would
want to invest that sort of tax-payer money on communications
infrastructure which is just "essentially, a video entertainment system":
https://www.youtube.com/v/DPgJA25Nso4?start=39&end=57
Again though, Murdoch has made it clear that he opposes improving the
nation's internet infrastructure, because people might prefer a $10/month
subscription to online tv services to his own $100/month foxtel
subscriptions.
Would you believe that you can't watch Game of Thrones in Australia unless
you pay at least $80/month for a foxtel (cable tv) subscription? And they
wonder why all the statistics appear to show that Australians are the worst
media pirates on earth...