Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 10:52:13 PDT 2013

On 3 September 2013 18:04, Gary Willoughby <dev at nomad.so> wrote:

> Requiring IDE assistance to make code _readable_ seems completely fail to
>> me.
>> 1) You're not always reading code in your IDE, often in commit logs, diff
>> windows, emails, chat clients.
>> 2) With so much hate for IDE support, it seems like a massive
>> contradiction
>> to say that an IDE should be required to make code readable.
>>
>> Reading code is the most fundamental task in programming. Anything that
>> gets in the way of code readability is an epic fail.
>>

> You're still confusing code readability with getting an overview of a
> class. They are two different things.

They're not different, it's a subset.

If you need an overview that you can view in text, add comments at the top
> of the class with a method signature on each line. That will give you the
> overview you need and reproduce the total nightmare of keeping it in sync
> with the methods. Something you would also have to do with separate
> declarations and implementations.

I think it's MUCH more of a nightmare trying to organise a class to be as
readable as possible with this limitation. I'm always juggling the code,
moving shit around, most of the time there's no perfect solution, and every
time, it's a waste of time and money. Things often demand to be grouped
either conceptually, or by visibility, and you can't have both. Visibility
blocks like public:/private: basically enforce you split up your variables
into a few different areas, and once they become interleaved with
functions, you're screwed.