Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

Ramon spam at thanks.no
Sun Sep 8 15:36:59 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 21:47:59 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
wrote:
> On 9/8/13, Ramon <spam at thanks.no> wrote:
>> Fox and fltk are
>> nice little thingies but not up to (todays) par lacking even
>> functionality like printing.
>
> Printing seems like something that should be in a separate
> library,
> and maybe the GUI library would provide a nice interface over
> its
> functionality. I've no idea, but are there no such
> cross-platform
> libraries around?

For some reason, probably to follow the situation on Windoze,
printing is considered to belong to or at least to be very
tightly coupled with the GUI. Technically speaking MS has solved
printing by drawing to a "special canvas", which is somewhat
unfortunate but actually not that bad conceptionally.

In part the problem is also to do with linux going another way
that is smart, too, by somewhat decoupling printing and going for
postcript.

Unfortunately this approach is quite different from Windoze
(which still happens to own around 95% of the desktops) and also
shows troublesome in a world of GDI printers (for many of which
drivers exist nowadays in linux, too).

 From developers point of view the Windows approach probably looks
more natural and desirable; after all printing, at least often,
*is* just drawing on another target (paper rather than screen)
and, more importantly, postscript is more at the driver side than
on the creation side.

tl;dr printing should be part of or at least reachable through
the gui system.

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 21:47:59 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:00:17 +0200
> "Ramon" <spam at thanks.no> wrote:
>
>> Visual$$ on Windoze
>
> Let's stick to grown-up words here. I'm not a fan of MS or Win
> either,
> but every time you write "Windoze" or spell something with $ it
> does
> nothing to hurt MS/Win and only makes you and other Posix users
> look
> like immature brats.

Let's stick to the freedom of expressing oneself any (polite) way
one sees fit as long as it's easily understandable.
For the uninitiated: '$' often indicates a placeholder in nixnux
world.

With a friendly smile - the brat.

A+ -R