Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

growler growlercab at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 16:30:35 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 22:37:00 UTC, Ramon wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 21:47:59 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
> wrote:
>> On 9/8/13, Ramon <spam at thanks.no> wrote:
>>> Fox and fltk are
>>> nice little thingies but not up to (todays) par lacking even
>>> functionality like printing.
>>
>> Printing seems like something that should be in a separate
>> library,
>> and maybe the GUI library would provide a nice interface over
>> its
>> functionality. I've no idea, but are there no such
>> cross-platform
>> libraries around?
>
> For some reason, probably to follow the situation on Windoze,
> printing is considered to belong to or at least to be very
> tightly coupled with the GUI. Technically speaking MS has
> solved printing by drawing to a "special canvas", which is
> somewhat unfortunate but actually not that bad conceptionally.
>
> In part the problem is also to do with linux going another way
> that is smart, too, by somewhat decoupling printing and going
> for postcript.

Postscript is/was the industry standard, so of course Linux,
Unix, FreeBSD and most other OSs support it, including windows.

The "special canvas" in windows is really just another GDI render
target. Cairo works in a similar way, producing device
independent output that can then be used with different renderer
targets, including Postscript, PDF, etc.

G.