D and Emacs [ was Re: Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ? ]

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Sep 9 02:38:07 PDT 2013

On 09/09/13 09:51, Russel Winder wrote:
> The Emacs mode stuff for D really needs to be in its own Git repository
> I believe.  MELPA automatically pulls the current repository to create
> the Emacs packages for people to install via the Emacs packaging system.

If it's Emacs stuff, shouldn't it be versioned in bzr? :-)

> Also the more stuff is in the main repository the less and less
> distributed the development of the various bits can be as only the
> gatekeepers can commit to the mainline.

I don't see that necessarily needs to be so.  Different projects should be able
to have different gatekeepers/maintainers.  If that's problematic, if GitHub
won't support separate maintainer groups for different repositories of
D-Programming-Language, there are probably other ways round it -- e.g. the
maintainers could have a separate project branch, and the D-Programming-Language
repo could auto-pull from it (and never be pushed to directly).

Also, so long as everyone is trustworthy and limits their activity to their
sphere of responsibility, there's no reason why you shouldn't just have a large
maintainer group.  If you can't trust maintainer-of-project-X to only use admin
powers for project X, and not for project Y as well, then why is he/she
maintainer of project X in the first place?