Move VisualD to github/d-programming-language ?

PauloPinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Sep 10 23:57:59 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 21:25:41 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 9/9/2013 11:35 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> C++11 has revitalized C++ in ways that are only just showing
>> themselves.
>
> That's true.
>
>> This is a threat to D gaining traction.
>
> I'm less sure about that. I think it presents an opportunity
> for us. Driving the C++ resurgence is:
>
> 1. demand for high performance computing
>
> 2. turning back towards native languages
>
> 3. recognition of the value of functional-style programming
> techniques
>
> 4. recognition of the value of safety, encapsulation, etc.
>
> But regarding the latter two points, I don't buy that the new
> C++ delivers. The classic is a oneliner Andrei wrote:
>
>     void fun() noexcept { throw "so sue me"; }
>
> noexcept means the function doesn't throw any exceptions. But
> it doesn't check! The above code compiles, and then fails at
> runtime. The opportunity for D is to deliver what C++ has
> promised.

I think it is better to sell D's capabilities in terms of systems
programming scenarios.

Your 1-4 points are already covered by existing languages for
traditional line of business applications, specially given the
fact that even current VM based languages have native compilers
available.

Putted another way, how well do the 1 - 4 bullet points stand
against Java/C#/Scala/Clojure native compilers ?

This is why I think the best selling point is systems programming.

--
Paulo