Not with the scene…

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Sep 11 05:00:04 PDT 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:46:11 +0200
"deadalnix" <deadalnix at gmail.com> wrote:

> KAMOULOX !
>
> Seriously, this thread looks like a juxtaposition of random words
> to me. Can someone translate ?

Hopefully I can explain without making things more confusing...

> >> Perhaps I am late to the party, but clearly all the meta-data
> >> associated with packages managed by Dub are Dub Records. Groan.

There's the DUB package manager for D:
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/dub

And apparently (although I guess I never noticed this) the meta-data
for each package is called a "record" (a common, albeit old, term for
a database entry).

But, turns out "dub record" is a pun (whether it's intentional, I
don't know). Because "dub" is a type of music:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_%28music%29

So the dual meaning: "dub record" (matadata for the dub package manager)
and "dub record" (a vinyl pressing of dub music).

Being a pun, it elicited a groan ;)

> > Heh, took me awhile to release what you were saying here.
> >
> > But don't worry, as long as it isn't Bro Step.

(Speaking of things that elicit groans...)

There's a relatively recent derivative of the "dub" music genre called
"dubstep" <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubstep>. More recently,
"dubstep" begat a derived genre of...random noises...called
"brostep". The quintessential "brostep" recording person is probably
"Skrillex". This is what Skrillex sounds like, along with the reaction
it typically gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Mti91l2Sc

That's probably one of his *better* tracks, actually. Basically,
take the random noises that radio stations like to stick between
songs and extend it to fill a CD. If you accidentally stumble upon the
beginnings of a beat or melody, cease immediately. That's basically it.
Apparently he won a Grammy for that.

Still, at least it's not Taylor Swift.