dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Sep 11 14:11:38 PDT 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:06:05 -0700
"H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 03:17:22PM -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > It's funny. I used to think Python is evil for the same reason,
> >
> > Well, I hate that about python too, but what I _really_ hate about
> > python is that it's dynamic. It shouldn't be possible to do things
> > like change the type of a variable based on whether an if condition
> > was true or not (or change the type of a variable at all for that
> > matter).
>
> Yeah, this is something oft touted as being 'convenient' and 'easy',
> but then in production code, you find yourself writing type checks
> anyway just to make sure what's passed in is what you expect. (And
> things blow up in horrible ways when some stray code passes in
> something with the wrong type.) Which defeats the purpose of having a
> dynamic language in the first place.

My feelings on it exactly. I also found the implicit member declarations
and its inability to match software to the correct runtime (like Java
does) to be major problems, too:
https://semitwist.com/articles/article/view/why-i-hate-python-or-any-dynamic-language-really

> > > But I've never used YAML, so I can't say whether or not I'd like
> > > it.
> >
> > JSON is a subset of YAML 1.2, so they're very similar. Probably the
> > most obvious differences are that you don't need as many quotes in
> > YAML, and whitespace matters. I've had to deal with it some at work,
> > and I hope to never have to deal with it elsewhere.
> [...]
>
> Wait, how can JSON be a subset of YAML if whitespace in YAML is
> significant, but it isn't in JSON?

Whitespace is only sometimes significant in YAML. On the JSON
constructs, it's not significant. On certain (all?) of the non-JSON
YAML-specific things, then it's significant.