[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Sep 13 22:15:06 PDT 2013

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 06:56:10 Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 14.09.2013 00:06, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> > .... The features that an IDE has that
> > vim doesn't typically just aren't worth it. e.g. if I'm stuck doing
> > Windows
> > programming, about the most that I even do with VS is use the debugger. I
> > even build from the command line rather than open the IDE.
> >
> > Vim's learning curve is quite nasty, but I definitely think that it was
> > worth it.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> You mean things like:
>
> - Semantic refactoring
> - WYSIWYG design of user interfaces
> - code navigation, even across binary modules (call graph, derived
> class, overridden methods, call sites, ...)
> - graphical representation of code relationships
> - UML design
> - visual XML tooling
> - background compilation showing where there are issues
> - background static analysis while coding
> - code completation with documentation popups
> - integrate source code control with task management software to track
> code changes to project tasks
> - map failed unit tests to code lines
> - ...

I honestly find almost all of that to be useless or nearly so. The only one
that I'd actually be much interested in would be better code navigation
(particularly the ability to hop to the definition of a function). And having
poor code editing capabilities would hamper me quite a bit. So, for me, vim
wins hands down.

- Jonathan M Davis