[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Sep 13 23:57:39 PDT 2013

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 22:15:06 -0700
Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 14, 2013 06:56:10 Paulo Pinto wrote:
> > Am 14.09.2013 00:06, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> > > .... The features that an IDE has that
> > > vim doesn't typically just aren't worth it. e.g. if I'm stuck
> > > doing Windows
> > > programming, about the most that I even do with VS is use the
> > > debugger. I even build from the command line rather than open the
> > > IDE.
> > >
> > > Vim's learning curve is quite nasty, but I definitely think that
> > > it was worth it.
> > >
> > > - Jonathan M Davis
> >
> > You mean things like:
> >
> > - Semantic refactoring
> > - WYSIWYG design of user interfaces
> > - code navigation, even across binary modules (call graph, derived
> > class, overridden methods, call sites, ...)
> > - graphical representation of code relationships
> > - UML design
> > - visual XML tooling
> > - background compilation showing where there are issues
> > - background static analysis while coding
> > - code completation with documentation popups
> > - integrate source code control with task management software to
> > track code changes to project tasks
> > - map failed unit tests to code lines
> > - ...

I find most of that stuff to be "nice, but not that big a deal" (and a
few I just plain don't care at all). I used to be a big IDE guy, but
I've done enough development on various immature platforms and
ecosystems that I can get by just fine as long as I have:

- Basic editing that's solid, fast, robust
- Highlighting
- CLI compiler

I've had to debug things using as little as one LED. So printf
debugging is perfectly comfortable to me, and I've gotten to the point
where I even find it preferable to a full debugger in many cases.

The rest is just icing (or gravy if you prefer).

> I honestly find almost all of that to be useless or nearly so. The
> only one that I'd actually be much interested in would be better code
> navigation (particularly the ability to hop to the definition of a
> function). And having poor code editing capabilities would hamper me
> quite a bit. So, for me, vim wins hands down.

Yea, the basics of code editing are the real #1 thing. If I can't "be
one with the cursor and text-edit control", so to speak, then no amount
of extra features can make up for it. (Of course, for me that means
*not* vi, although I just haven't cared enough to get through the
learning curve - but that's just me.)