[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Sep 14 22:18:54 PDT 2013

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 17:08:56 +0200
"Adam D. Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 13 September 2013 at 23:56:26 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
> > Personally, I find the Windows/DOS
> > shell to be completely unusable and use git-bash when I'm
>
> cmd.exe is indeed painful to use. I blame it's weird history and
> tab completion. It has them so you want to use it.... but they
> are weird.

I think they help make cmd.exe usable, but you're right, they are
weird. And limited.

The history does at least seem to have a certain logic to it, but in
practice I usually find it more confusing than bash's or, uhhh,
whatever BSD's default shell is.

In fact, after I got over my initial shock (only a few minutes), I
started to grock the logic of BSD's shell history, and I'm starting to
like it more than bash's history. So easy to call up the command you
want, even if it's old: Just type the beginning and then "up/down"
automatically filters to that prefix. Nice. The redirection system has
some interesting points too, although I'm not familiar enough with that
aspect yet (as opposed to bash) to really judge it.

> The commands don't bother me, the different quoting and (lack
> of?) looping don't bother me - I prefer to just use D for
> anything more than a line or three of shell anyway - but the
> history and compleition are really annoying.

Yea. And as far as the commands go, it's easy enough to install the
Windows port of all the basic Gnu tools. So I can tee stuff, and pipe
to grep and such just as well on Windows as I can on Linux. And
piping/redirection works fine on cmd.exe, pretty much identical to bash
actually.

So I'm actually fairly comfortable on the Windows command line, all
things considered. My biggest beefs are that I can't resize the
terminal's width or copy-paste without the mouse, but there's a million
alternate front-ends to cmd.exe which do that stuff just fine. I even
have a couple installed, I'm just too lazy to change my habit of
always reaching for cmd.exe ;)