Improved Phobos dox

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Sep 15 10:47:06 PDT 2013

On 9/15/13 12:53 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 September 2013 at 07:14:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Check out the new navigation at
>> http://erdani.com/d/phobos/std_array.html. The ugly "Jump to" list as
>> the top gets replaced by a slick drop-down. Once you jump to a name,
>> you can go back by pressing the up arrow on the right or simply go to
>> top.
>
> I'm not sure this is an improvement, functionally. Finding the right
> item in much faster when you can see all items at once, and not lined up
> on only one direction.

Not sure what that's based on, but at least for me that only works up to
a few words. For large modules that's hopeless. Just look at:

http://dlang.org/phobos/std_datetime.html

Can you really pick up the desired term? I think
http://erdani.com/d/phobos/std_datetime.html is a real improvement over
that (it also reduces the size of the list to the top-level ones, which
helps).

> Also, Ctrl+F was more likely to find the link to
> the correct item before than now (and if you used your browser's inline
> search feature, then you could activate that link by pressing Enter).
>
> I think some kind of outline would be more useful.

Of course better designs are welcome. One possibility is an incremental
search box.

> What happened with Ddox? This looks like an improvement in both function
> and aesthetics:
>
> http://vibed.org/temp/phobos/std/array.html

That would be a larger, future step. Walter noted some issues. Also
things are a bit messed up right now - appender.html is missing, and the
others don't expand D_RUN_CODE ARGS.

Andrei