[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Sep 16 07:36:07 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:07:22AM +0200, John Colvin wrote:
> On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 01:55:25 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 07:14:17PM +0200, Dicebot wrote:
[...]
> >>Not entirely true. You should never have anything not managed by
> >>package manager on Linux system, it is a reliable road to disaster.
> >>Better distinction is "/usr/" for packages from official repos,
> >>"/usr/local" for own custom packages.
> >
> >Seriously? I installed unmanaged stuff all the time, and never had
> >much of an issue. Though, granted, I never put them under /usr or
> >/usr/local at all. It's usually in a dedicated subdirectory under
> >$HOME.
> >
> >Installing unmanaged stuff under the /usr tree is tricky business,
> >because when you're trying to *uninstall*, you usually don't remember
> >where all the bits have been scattered, and leaving them lying around
> >can lead to trouble.

> Ever since watching a friend have his entire /usr deleted by a dodgy
> 'sudo make install', i desperately avoid manually installing to
> anywhere but a dedicated subdir in $home. No root access needed and
> I actually know where everything is =)

Yeah, I don't trust random Makefiles I download over the 'Net. I usually
put the source trees under /usr/src, which I use mainly for experimental
stuff anyway, and since /usr is unwriteable by non-root, the worst a
Makefile-gone-wrong can do is to nuke the entire /usr/src, while leaving
everything else (esp. the all-important $HOME) intact.

These days, though, I hardly ever even run make install anymore. Most
apps (that I'm interested in, anyway) can be run as-is from the build
directory, or if not, can be manually copied file-by-file to some
dedicated target directory (the file list is hand-copied from the output
of `make -n`, which also lets me know exactly *what* the thing actually
does without actually doing it). Anything more complex than that, and I
start weighing how badly I want that app vs. how little I trust it.
Usually I don't care badly enough to actually install something that
requires running a dodgy Makefile that takes a suspiciously long 20
seconds to install a mere 10-15 files.

They say that "guns don't kill people, people kill people." Well I think
the gun helps. If you just stood there and yelled BANG, I don't think
you'd kill too many people. -- Eddie Izzard, Dressed to Kill