Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 21:52:24 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 03:44:08 UTC, Kapps wrote:
> On Tuesday, 17 September 2013 at 03:32:17 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>
>> I presume you mean megabytes?
>> Well I've been working all morning since I made that comment;
>> I have about
>> 100 tabs open for editing in VS now (I don't clean up open
>> tabs often >_<),
>> and it's sitting at 120mb.
>> VisualStudio at ~100mb is pretty bloody good comparatively!
>>
>> Dunno why you're seeing 200mb? (still less than my gmail
>> tab...)
>> Perhaps you use Visual Assist or some other bulky plugins? I
>> only have
>> Visual-D installed.
>

> That's quite surprising, Visual Studio for me is always in the
> ~300MB or so range, often more. Right now using MonoDevelop on
> Linux with Mono-D is using ~500MB. That being said, I'm
> perfectly okay with IDEs using lots of memory. RAM is cheap, if
> the IDE can make itself even slightly better by using an extra
> 2GB when I have spare, I'd be happy to let it. I have 16GB in
> my laptop and 12GB in my desktop and nothing ever comes even
> remotely close to causing me to run out of memory. Things using
> CPU usage in the background however is quite frustrating.
> Somehow my most CPU intensive process on this laptop is my
> touchpad driver (touchegg), which likely kills battery life.

Eclipse is made for you :D

I tend to agree with you, considereing the benefit is high enough
(it is in java or C# for instance). For D I disagree, as the
benefit is not as high, and the frontend can consume quite a lot
of memory, so having some extra memory around is a big deal
(especially if you also run a browser somewhere, that will use
several Gb of memory).