Improved Phobos dox

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Sep 17 04:17:06 PDT 2013

On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 17:08:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 9/16/13 9:57 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 16:49:25 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like you are exactly arguing over the concept of
>> semantic web and
>> related tools. Which is a bit weird because it basically
>> repeats the
>> debates from various web world articles I have been reading
>> almost 5
>> years ago :P Maybe we should use established wisdom of people
>> who are
>> doomed to deal with it on daily basis? :P
>
> What is the established wisdom?
>
> Andrei

AFAIR there has been an article about semantic web linked in this
thread. I am not web dev myself by any means but general motto I
hear from Internet publications on topic can be summarized as:

- HTML is for semantics, CSS is for style
- HTML should never interfere with how stuff is viewed
- HTML should be meaningful on its own, even without any CSS
- Meaning of HTML elements is standardized, not so for classes

Importance of last point is often underestimated. Screen readers
have been already mentioned but it also applies for stuff like
search engine robots - better HTML element selection can result
in better search output.