Had another 48hr game jam this weekend...

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 08:43:13 PDT 2013

On 18 September 2013 23:54, Wyatt <wyatt.epp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 11:45:55 UTC, Manu wrote:
> ?
>
>> The problem I've always had with make-based build systems is rebuild
>> dependencies... how do any of those build systems go performing a minimal
>> rebuild,
>>

> As in "only rebuild the files that changed"?  In my experience, that comes
> with using make.  Even really ancient versions.

I've had lots of problems in the past where a header included by another
header doesn't prompt the dependent code to be rebuilt, and I ended up in a
conservative state of rebuild-all-ing every time... :/
Maybe I should try working with that environment more...

>  or incremental linking?
>>

> This is a bit harder.  If you're using the Gold linker, -Wl,--incremental
> sounds like your medicine, though I'm not sure if Gold is ready for
> primetime, yet.

How does that work? Can you re-link while paused in the debugger, and then
continue with the new code?