Qt Creator and D

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Wed Sep 18 07:49:22 PDT 2013

Hello all,

Several of us have been talking about Qt Creator and D in various subthreads of
the current IDE-related discussions going on right now, so I thought it might be
worth raising as a matter of general interest.

My general impression is that this is a fast, light cross-platform IDE which is
(as its name indicates) state-of-the-art for C++ and Qt development.

Currently it has fairly good D/Ddoc syntax highlighting (it literally copies the
latest d.xml syntax definition file from KDE's text editor Kate).  However, I
wasn't able to get things like auto-indent working, and haven't yet put any
serious effort into investigating build/compiler or debugging support.

It also has a FakeVim mode that enables vim-like editing and should be able to
operate from the local .vimrc settings, but my brief experiments weren't so far
able to get it to reproduce my current vim behaviour.

The last related discussion that I'm aware of is from about 3 years back, when
several D users discussed implementing Qt Creator support:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/ide/Qt_Creator_with_D_707.html

... but I'm not aware of any follow-up since then.

I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in seeing better D
support in this IDE, and how many people have more experience or can offer
insight into how to proceed.

Best wishes,

     -- Joe