[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

growler growlercab at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 16:03:29 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 20:46:00 UTC, Paulo Pinto
wrote:
> Am 18.09.2013 22:31, schrieb H. S. Teoh:
>> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 03:01:26AM +0200, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>>>
>>> hehe those who don't understand Windows are doomed to
>>> reinvent it :)
>>> :) :)
>>
>> lol... though it makes me think of the latest C++ proposals as
>> "those
>> who don't understand D are doomed to reinvent it, poorly". :-P
>
> Even though I bought the updated version of "The C++
> Programming Language", I've started to get the feeling that the
> C++ standard might get into the same direction as ANSI Extended
> Pascal.
>
> It gets updated, but besides a few places in the world,
> developers will eventually stop caring.
>
> I agree with Andrei's statement at Going Native. Even if C++14
> and eventually C++17 make developer's life easier, you still
> need to know
> all archaic issues all the way back to C, to be able to tackle
> any issues that come up.
>

>> I remember in the old DOS days, some games would load up
>> custom graphics
>> into the video card's text font buffer, so that they can draw
>> sprites
>> just by writing the corresponding characters into the video
>> card's text
>> buffer.  You can get very fast drawing rates since the video
>> card does
>> most of the work for you (and you only need to transfer 1 byte
>> per 8x8
>> block of pixels instead of 8 bytes or more).
>>

> In the Amiga was even better, thanks to the custom blitter
> chips. Just set up the required information and start a few DMA
> operations.
>
> Nowadays, you can get a similar effect with a few shaders.
>
> --
> Paulo

Did someone say Amiga? :D

The first consumer PC that had a programmable GPU...with only 3
instructions.

WAIT, MOVE, SKIP.

WAIT (for the raster to reach a line)
MOVE (some data, 16-bits from memory)
SKIP (...can't remember exactly what this did, rarely used it. I
think was to skip instructions in the copper list.)