[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 07:55:06 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 07:24:19 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
wrote:
> That's essentially the same strategy behind the graphics
> hardware in most 8/16-bit consoles.

Something else I love from the good old days: palette swaps.
(This is why color.d, previous image.d, has a separate class for
IndexedImage - it isn't a true color image with limited colors.
It is a whole new paradigm with rich semantics! You can saw entry
1 == foreground and stick to that in your images and get some
cool matching with the user's theme with ease.)

You could do so much with it to get cool looks, and it was fast.
One of my favorite palette swap things was the old Nintendo game
Dragon Warrior.

When your life ran low, it changed the font entry from white to
red. But, of course, there's other places that used that entry
too - the NES had only a 16 color palette (with only 4 colors per
tile) so reuse was a necessity - so you'd have parts of the world
changing to red too!

On one hand, that's a technical limitation, but on the other hand
I thought it looked great and purposefully copied it for my 256
color DOS rpg.

You could also show/hide things by changing palette entries to be
black on black, you could do transitions to night time with a
palette swap, the list goes on.

I love it.