compiled code file size

JohnnyK johnnykinsey at comcast.net
Fri Sep 20 11:15:41 PDT 2013

On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 17:27:30 UTC, Duke Normandin
wrote:
> On Friday, 20-Sep-13 10:50 AM, Temtaime wrote:
>> C/C++ applications also carries on its runtime(mingwm10, msvc's
>> redist, for example).
>> If compiled with static runtime, msvc's hello world
>> application uses
>> about 40 KB.
>
> +1

I don't think that static runtime comes with a garbage collector
either nor does it come with a lot of other really nice features
that come with D auto-magically.  I remember these same questions
being brought up with C being compared to Assembly, Visual Basic
vs GWBASIC, COBOL vs FORTRAN vs RPG vs C.  This discussion always
comes up over and over again in the programming world.  Those of
us that have come to D is not coming here because of the size of
the executable compared to <your fav. language here>.  We came
because D is fast, robust, easy to maintain, easy to understand,
and just an all around practical language.  Duke unless your
trying to build programs for embedded appliances I don't think
this question really matters much in this day and age with
Terabyte hard drives and gigabytes of ram on the modern computer.
  Back when C was built we only had 64KB to work with so we could
not have garbage collection, thread libraries, or even a string
library built into the compiler.  IMHO who cares as long as it is
reasonable and necessary to make time to market quicker and still
produce a sound product.  In the end ask yourself what is 100KB
to make your life as a programmer easier.