[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 08:29:32 PDT 2013

On 21 September 2013 21:27, Joseph Rushton Wakeling <
joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:

> Specifically in this case: the user-friendliness of GNU/Linux distros has
> come a _huge_ way in the last 10 years, but there's no reason why they
> shouldn't be every bit as surface-friendly (maybe even more so) than the
> popular commercial OS's while retaining all the power that experts need and
> want.  It's a terrible shame that more attention is not given to this
> surface-friendliness, and it's striking how resistant many old-school free
> software people are to usability-oriented improvements _that don't
> necessarily constrain them_.
>
> ** Example 1 **
> I was a longstanding KDE user until with the 12.04 release of Ubuntu, I
> switched over to using Unity.  I found it much more usable and effective in
> all sorts of ways, but initially I was frustrated because there were
> superficially less config options available.  It was striking how quickly I
> realized _I didn't miss them_ and that most of that configurability I'd had
> with KDE was a distraction rather than something that assisted me.  As
> someone wrote round-about that time, there's a tendency for customisability
> to be an excuse for lack of design.

I really like this point. It's something I think I'll definitely keep in
mind in the future. I'm certainly guilty of this myself; "surely people
would prefer the option" when I'm writing some code.
But in reality, in almost every piece of software I use myself, even as a
'power user', I tend to use it in it's default configuration.

What this really highlights is that I'm a terrible UX coder myself :P