[OT] Which IDE / Editor do you use?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Sep 23 16:42:37 PDT 2013

On 09/23/2013 02:01 PM, Dicebot wrote:

> Ironically, this is exactly the reason I have never succeeded in using
> the Windows for daily work. Amount of manual configuration and
> subverting the defaults needed to make it actually usable for my
> programming flow is outstanding. ...

I have never figured out how to even get it into that state, but it
might have been lack of motivation. I had to work under Windows a while
last year. It does not work for me, no matter how loudly one might
assert it does. Eg. the (default?) file system is a joke. It will lock
files, not even tell you in which unimportant program it is still
considered open, and prevent you from getting work done. The OS has to
mandate an awkward UI that eg. randomly hides windows behind other
windows in a way that induces hair-pulling or wastes screen space and
power for useless colour effects on overly thick margins and "title
bars". (Not to speak of the task bar, which eats up significant screen
space just in order to offer a really lousy interface to everything.)
One needs to be a master in handling of the pointing device in order not
to accidentally miss some button at the other end of the screen (that
should have been a named command in the first place) and wreak random
havoc that swaps around some windows or re-configures the current GUI
application into a state that one likes (even) less than the one before.
Resetting this requires careful research, with multiple roundtrips to a
search engine in order to look at awkward procedural descriptions of how
to access the "Blah-Configuration-Whatever-Dialog" referred to in the
last step, in the most unexpected places. (The descriptions are always
text only and imprecise.) And those are just a few examples. A lot of
trivial and less trivial things I attempted to do under Windows ended up
feeling exactly that way. There's so much time wasted for random
micro-management not at all related to the task at hand.

I'd rather deal with compatibility issues. (I rarely had to though.)

I am well aware of, and respect the fact that some need to use Windows
because it happens to be compatible with some Software they need or want
to rely on, but I cannot relate to any statements attributing any kind
of positive quality to the experience offered by the OS itself.

(This is from a guy who installed his first non-Windows system three
years ago.)