Incremental builds?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Sep 26 23:40:21 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-27 01:47, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> Fast enough that you'd have to have a very large project for incremental
> builds to gain you anything. Maybe you could gain time if the incremental
> builds were done in parallel, but even then, the build time is going to be
> dwarfed by the link time in a lot of programs. Most projects aren't going to
> be big enough to really gain much from incremental builds. I'd only worry
> about that if I were doing a large application and building it was
> demonstratively slow.

I don't know how others think about incremental compilation. But I'm
don't think about compiling each file separately. I'm thinking about
compiling only what's changed and compile all those files in one go.

That would mean the first time you compile a project it would compile
all files at once, just as most people do today. Then when some files
are changed it will only compile those, in one go.

This should at least in theory speed up the compilation. But perhaps
most projects are too small to actually make a difference in practice.

--
/Jacob Carlborg