dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Sep 26 23:49:39 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-26 13:39, Dicebot wrote:

> No, you just let maintainers interested in target systems to take care
> of it. And package for 2-3 you care about _personally_. It is an
> obsolete idea that developer of a library/program should do any
> packaging at all. If your program is any good, there will always be
> volunteers to adapt it nicely for their beloved systems.

How about doing a compromise. We add a new command to "dub" which will
execute an installed package. Something like this:

$ dub install foo
$ dub exec foo --help

This will by default look in the package.json file, in the current
working directory, if it exists, for the correct version of the package
to run.

--
/Jacob Carlborg