dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Fri Sep 27 00:08:25 PDT 2013

On Friday, 27 September 2013 at 06:49:39 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2013-09-26 13:39, Dicebot wrote:
>
>> No, you just let maintainers interested in target systems to
>> take care
>> of it. And package for 2-3 you care about _personally_. It is
>> an
>> obsolete idea that developer of a library/program should do any
>> packaging at all. If your program is any good, there will
>> always be
>> volunteers to adapt it nicely for their beloved systems.
>
> How about doing a compromise. We add a new command to "dub"
> which will execute an installed package. Something like this:
>
> $ dub install foo
> $ dub exec foo --help
>
> This will by default look in the package.json file, in the
> current working directory, if it exists, for the correct
> version of the package to run.

Ok, this is pretty hygienic (though as I have said it makes more
sense to call it `dub cache` instead of `dub install`). Though
what does it give you over just providing same environment via
build dependencies? (I know, dub does not seem to build binaries
from dependencies right now but I got an impression this is going
to be fixed)