Specifying C++ symbols in C++ namespaces

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Sun Apr 6 18:35:37 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-06 19:39:31 +0000, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> said:

> Unfortunately that seems to be years into the future? Although clang
> has begun implementing something:
>
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/Modules.html
>
> I've got at feeling that if clang gets something working it will become
> a de-facto standard due to demand.

Modules are already in use on OS X for some system frameworks. It can
result in slightly improved compile times. It has been enabled by
default for new Xcode projects for some time. With modules enabled,
clang interpret #includes as module imports for system frameworks
having a module map. It's so transparent you probably won't notice
anything has changed.

The only thing that really changes with modules is you don't have
access to symbols you don't have imported yourself. D already works
like that. I think D can ignore those modules, just like it ignores
header files.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca