Heartbleed and static analysis

froglegs nono at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 12 16:12:37 PDT 2014

  Teoh--

  Some C++ code bases get that way. I once worked on a codebase
that was originally C, then added C with classes, and then had
C++ metaprogramming bolted on top(custom and incomplete
implementations of half of boost, including MPL).
   While it wasn't the best, I personally did not have a huge
issue with understanding it. My coworkers, on the other hand, had
serious problems understanding the metaprogramming, so I always
had to deal with that code(I did not write it).
  If I could come onto the project and understand it, is it really
the fault of the language, or the fault of my coworkers for not
taking it upon themselves to become informed?

  Design flaws of C++? It may have a few, but compared to C? I
think C++ is far better designed, and far safer.

  A legit flaw I would label C++ with(aside from missing features
such as modules etc.) is a degree of unnecessary complexity,
mostly caused by its evolving design. That is just what happens
when you have a 30 year old language, that is mostly backwards
compatible with an even older language.

  Because C++ is more complex it requires more informed
programmers to operate than C.

  If you have a team of informed C++ programmers I feel that it is
very possible to produce very quickly, high quality reliable
code. That all members can understand(I'd be inclined to say fire
anyone that can't grok it, they will just be a liability).

  But anyway I do not understand why important software is still
written in C. It makes me sad:(