Fwd: confirm 9a85e83e9531356d37cfd8581573d167b99c16f8

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sun Apr 13 23:58:21 PDT 2014

On Monday, 14 April 2014 at 06:32:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Writing it on paper is not subject to hacking. Having your
> house burgled or black bagged is an entirely different problem.
> Hackers from a foreign country aren't going to do that, and the
> government is incapable of dragnet black bagging of residences.

Well, some people leave their houses when doing their
computerstuff, so they need to bring their passwords with them. I
frequently carry passwords in my wallet, but only the few ones I
need. And only until I manage to memorize. :)

> I suspect that using the same password for multiple accounts is
> far more risky than using paper.

Yes, but if you use combination of phrases so that hackers need
more than one instance of your password then I think it is more
safe than a single master password if most sites are reasonable.
(I use randomized passwords where it matters)

Seriously, storing and comparing hashed passwords rather than
clear ones takes about 15 minutes to implement correctly if the
hash function is available as a library.