dec64 decimal floating point type

Francesco Cattoglio francesco.cattoglio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 02:44:03 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 13 April 2014 at 18:42:43 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
> The talk I watched only touched on the motivation for a new
> format very briefly, but the gist was that the existing
> offerings were too computationally expensive to emulate in
> software and hardware support is not forthcoming. My
> understanding is that this format is designed around what can
> be done efficiently with the instructions that are available in
> hardware today.
>
> A...

This would make sense, at least partially, if hardware supporting
the ieee was non-existant, but apparently hardware support for
the decimal64 standard is already here!

Being a numerical analyst I can say I'm extremely interested when
someone comes up with new interesting ideas, but as far as I can
tell we still need to go down a long road before finding
something better than good old floats. And I really think that
one should stick to the standards, as long as the standard is
good enough.

On a side note, I think that support for decimal64 might be
something nice to have in the D language, because apparently that
one is the most used floating point type in the economic sectors.