Redesign of dlang.org

Aleksandar Ruzicic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 13:22:19 PDT 2014

On Monday, 21 April 2014 at 20:12:31 UTC, David Gileadi wrote:
> On 4/21/14, 12:38 PM, Aleksandar Ruzicic wrote:
>> I'm not sure if it is smart to use simple text macro
>> processing system
>> as a replacement for full-featured DSL such is Sass. And I
>> don't think
>> that some features available (and really useful!) in Sass are
>> even
>> possible with Ddoc. For example branching with @if, composing
>> of various
>> style sets to optimal CSS (Sass has @extend directive for
>> this).
>> Also, Ddoc can't minify resulting CSS which is something that
>> is
>> considered good practice (serve gzipped minified JS/CSS), so
>> some
>> external tool must be used for that. With node-sass we can get
>> all that
>> and more (i.e. source maps)..
>
> A little searching turned up libsass.org which apparently is
> the native library that node.js uses for its implementation. So
> if there's an objection to full node.js (or if vibe.d is used)
> then perhaps the native library would do.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm not advocating the use of
node.js to serve dlang.org (I'm all for vibe.d route!), just to
use node.js packages I'm used to (i.e. gulp[1], gulp-sass[2] and
gulp-browserify[3]) that ease me in working with front-end
projects.

[1] https://www.npmjs.org/package/gulp
[2] https://www.npmjs.org/package/gulp-sass
[3] https://www.npmjs.org/package/gulp-browserify