Redesign of dlang.org

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 23 15:48:39 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:08:52PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> But I have noticed a lot of the sites that use anchor links to switch
> to completely different pages are basically broken. Since the very
> *beginning* of HTML, links have always been downright trivial to
> implement, and have always been considerably *easier* to *not* require
> JS. It's pretty much the single simplest, easiest, most fundamental
> thing in HTML. And yet, more than a decade now after <a onclick="...">
> linking inexplicably appeared, some people are *still* trying to
> implement links using JS. It's insane.
[...]

I'm still amazed at the number of news sites that have non-functional
links the moment you disable JS. I had been running my browser with JS
turned on by default for many years, until sometime in the last few
years I got so sick of JS eating up CPU, memory, causing needless
browser slowdowns, popping up unwanted ads and nag dialogs, that now I'm
back to JS being off by default, and only (grudgingly) enabled for a
handful of specific sites that actually *need* it. It's amazing how much
faster the web suddenly became, overnight. And it's equally amazing how
many links stop working without JS. It boggles the mind... doesn't HTML
have a built-in link tag for that very purpose?!

Another new fad nowadays seems to be CSS popups that need JS to make
them go away. My usual reaction to that is to close the tab and move on.
Or, if I'm feeling particularly tolerant that day, switch to user
stylesheet mode (i.e., completely disregard the site's CSS and use my
own), and just scour the raw text for the real content (which usually
occupies, oh, 20% of the total text on the page -- apparently nowadays
minimizing your S/N ratio is in, providing useful content is out).
Doesn't fix the JS link issue, though, but so far, I've decided that
it's not worth the bother to find out what's behind such non-working
links -- esp. since Google will readily give me pages upon pages of
other places where I can get similar information! >:-)

> However, you'll have to pardon that little rant. When I posted that
> "Apparently they can't even manage make basic links work properly", I
> swear it wasn't my intention to do another JS-rant. Coming from me, JS
> rants are pretty much redundant at this point ;)

JS rants are fun. ;-)

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks
to the Internet, we know this is not true. -- Robert Wilensk